The key to a great soup is in the ingredients, so the fresher the vegetables, the better. Not sure what to pair the soups with to make a meal? Pair the savory double mushroom soup with crusty bread, the loaded baked potato with a fresh, crisp salad and the chilled avocado with a side of tortilla chips and a fresh fish taco. Who said meal planning had to be difficult?
Hearty double mushroom soup recipe
- 1 (3.5 ounce) package shiitake mushrooms
- 1 (3.5 ounce) package fresh baby bell mushrooms
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk with leaves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 basil leaves, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- In a crock pot, mix mushrooms, broth, carrot, celery, onion and herbs. Cook on high for 3-1/2 hours or on low for six hours until vegetables are tender and broth has darkened.
- Garnish with additional fresh basil and enjoy!
Low-fat loaded baked potato recipe
- 3 turkey bacon strips, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (or 1 clove chopped)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup light cream
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh parsley
- Bake potatoes until they are soft. Cut up and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft, about four minutes. Sift in flour, basil, salt and pepper. Gradually add broth to mixture, stirring until mixed. Bring mixture to a boil. Add the potatoes and cream and heat until cooked through, but not boiled. Remove from heat.
- Garnish with chopped bacon, cheese and minced fresh parsley!
Chilled avocado soup recipe
- 2 soft ripened avocados, pits removed
- 1-1/2 cups light sour cream
- 2-1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- Scoop avocado out and place into a food processor or blender. Blend until avocado is no longer chunky. Add remaining ingredients, except cilantro. Blend until soup is completely smooth.
- Chill for at least three hours. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!
More soup recipes
Stuffed pepper soup
Lentil soup recipe
Grilled cheese and tomato soup for grown ups