While sauce is always welcome over pasta, sometimes all you need is a little olive oil to make a pasta dish that's both light and delicious.
A few months ago, I made a pasta dish that didn't require one ounce of sauce. While an unusual choice, it made for a delicious meal that was nice, light and the perfect answer to a busy weeknight dinner. I enjoyed the meal so much I've had it several times since then. But last week I thought I'd mix it up. This time around, I used the same concept but added meat. Guess what? The result was just as tasty as the first version and even with the sausage, the dish still wasn't heavy. The best news about this new version? It only took 20 minutes to get dinner on the table.
Sausage & kale tortellini
- 1 (20 ounce) package tortellini
- 8 ounces sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Make tortellini according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink, about five minutes; set aside.
- Heat the oil in the same pan used to cook the sausage, over medium-high heat. Saute kale and garlic until kale starts to wilt, two to three minutes. Add sausage and toss together for one minute.
- Place cooked tortellini in a large serving bowl. Add sausage mixture and toss together. Serve immediately.
Other tortellini recipes
Double cheese tortellini
Hearty tortellini soup
Quick tortellini shrimp kabobs