A Comforting Meal For Cold Winter Nights
One of the first things to go when people go back to work, kids go back to school and soccer and calendars start filling up on obligations is the family dinner. When both parents are stuck working until 7 or 8 p.m., the last thing many of them have time to worry about is cooking a nice meal and enjoying it together. This doesn't have to be the case, though. This delicious, savory pot roast recipe can be made up to three days ahead of time and can be roasted or prepared in a crock pot!
Bring family mealtime back with this savory, delectable and easy pot roast recipe. Paired with roasted vegetables and creamy mashed potatoes, this will soon be a family favorite!
Simple & perfect pot roast recipe
Serves 8 -10
- 4 pound beef chuck roast (make sure it's one that's marbled with fat for the best flavor)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, cut in fourths
- 4 carrots, cut into quarters
- 4 stalks celery, cut into quarters
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine (try pinot noir)
- 3 cups organic beef broth (or stock)
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Rub meat thoroughly with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat oil. Once oil is heated, add onions, carrots and celery. Move the vegetables around constantly and cook until browned on all sides, about four minutes. Remove from heat and place on a plate.
- Using more oil if necessary, add pot roast to the Dutch oven. Brown meat on each side (about four to six minutes) and remove from heat. Using a spatula, scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the Dutch oven. Add wine and deglaze the pan.
- Once bits are scraped up, add beef and vegetables back to the pan. Cover the meat with beef broth and add fresh herbs.
- Put the lid on the meat and bake for two to three hours or until a meat thermometer registers 160 degrees F.
More slow cooker recipes
Low-carb slow cooker meals
Easy slow cooker party recipes
Slow cooker orange chicken recipe