Fast & Easy
Instant rice, frozen peas and prepackaged tuna come together to make a warm, healthy one-pot meal that’s as comforting as it is delicious. It’s perfect for cold winter lunches or a light weeknight dinner for two.
The health benefits of tuna make it a great option whether you're dieting or not. In addition to protein, tuna is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which help lower your risk of heart disease. Other lesser-known health benefits of tuna are its ability to help with arthritis pain and decrease the complications of asthma.
In this recipe, tuna comes together with green peas, rice and sauce so creamy you'll never believe it's low-fat to make a quick and easy meal the whole family will love. This fish recipe isn't just easy, it's versatile, too. If you're out of rice, serve it over toast. Substitute carrots for the peas in a pinch or use milk instead of the other liquid.
Serves 4 to 6
- 4 cups white rice prepared
- 1/4 medium yellow onion, rough chopped
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 4 ounces vegetable stock
- 4 ounces water
- 1/2 to 3/4 (12 ounce) bag frozen peas
- 1 (6.4 ounce) pouch chunk light tuna in water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet (or medium sauce pan), saute onion in cooking spray on medium heat until soft.
- Add a small amount of the vegetable stock to the pan (this will prevent the soup from sticking or burning when you add it).
- Add the cream of mushroom soup and stir until well combined.
- Continue adding the remaining liquid a small amount at a time until smooth.
- Add the peas and turn the heat to high, stirring frequently until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Stir in the tuna and add the salt and pepper. When the tuna is heated through (about two minutes), remove the mixture from the heat.
- Serve over rice.
More recipes with tuna
Healthy recipes with tuna
7 Quick and healthy tuna recipes
5 Fancy recipes for tuna in a can