Healthy breakfast alternatives
Avoid unnecessary fatty foods and high amounts of sugar to ensure a proper start to your day. Try these breakfast favorites to change your way of eating for the better.
- Fat free milk instead of whole or 2 percent milk.
- Egg whites or egg beaters instead of whole eggs.
- Ham or turkey bacon instead of regular bacon.
- Kefir or Greek yogurt instead of prepackaged fruit and yogurt cups.
- Whole grain bagel or toast with fruit preserves instead of white bagel or toast with butter.
- Agave syrup, maple syrup or fresh fruit instead of store bought syrup.
Healthy snacks and lunch alternatives
Boost your health and power through your day with these energy-enhancing foods. Try these lunch and snack alternatives to help maintain your energy throughout the day.
- A handful of almonds or peanuts instead of sugary protein bars.
- Fresh fruit (apples, bananas, pears, berries, tomatoes) instead of candy or sweets.
- Fresh, raw veggies (carrots, broccoli, beets) instead of salty, crunchy snacks.
- Baked chips instead of fried chips.
- Home-popped popcorn or rice cakes instead of store bought popcorn bags.
- Leafy green salads with light or vinegar based dressing instead of iceberg lettuce with creamy dressings.
- Skim mozzarella or light cheddar instead of other fatty cheeses.
- Light mayonnaise with olive oil or mustard instead of regular mayonnaise.
- Whole wheat pitas and whole wheat bread instead of white bread.
- Baked turkey or chicken instead of salty deli meats.
Healthy dinner alternatives
It's important to keep portion control in the forefront of your mind for all meals, especially dinner. By selecting healthy food alternatives and keeping an eye on your portion size, you'll feel better and begin to lose weight at the same time. Try these healthier foods options for your dinners.
- Lean ground beef, ground turkey or ground chicken instead of regular ground beef.
- Fresh or frozen vegetables instead of canned vegetables.
- Chicken breast instead of chicken thighs and legs.
- Fish or tofu instead of red meat.
- Brown rice or quinoa instead of white rice.
- Whole wheat or brown rice pasta instead of white pasta.
Healthy beverage alternatives
The number one way to cut down on calories and increase your health is to eliminate soda from your diet. Replace sugary soda with water, sparkling water or infuse your water with strawberries, lime, lemon, orange or cucumbers to instantly boost your health and detox your body. Follow these simple tricks for healthier drinking:
- Use fat-free milk, rice milk or soymilk in your morning coffee instead of fatty creamers.
- Use agave syrup instead of white sugar to sweeten your coffee.
- Drink vegetable juices instead of fruit juices.
- Drink fresh squeezed juices instead of store bought juices.
More on healthy eating
Clean food: Healthy eating in the New Year
6 Healthy eating tips - debunked
Green smoothie and green drink recipes