A wonderful meatless entrée that's big on flavor
Delicious and using only a handful of fresh ingredients, this eggplant lasagna recipe is a great alternative if you're looking to cut down on meat and carbs. It's also the perfect gluten-free recipe for lasagna. The bulk of this recipe is just simple layering and baking, plus there's no slaving away by the stove cooking a tomato sauce! You can easily make this on a weeknight, but it would also make a nice weekend family meal paired with a salad full of mixed greens.
Pasta-free lasagna with eggplant, mozzarella and tomatoes recipe
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 long eggplant, sliced lengthwise (about 8 slices)
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced (about 12 slices)
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- Dried herbs for topping (parsley, oregano, basil)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat a wide skillet on medium-high heat with about 1/4 cup olive oil. Season eggplant slices on both sides with salt and pepper. Sauté for about three to four minutes on each side, until golden brown. Eggplant is sponge-like, so if they seem dry, just add a little more olive oil to the skillet, but make sure to not drown them. Set aside on a plate until all are done.
- To assemble, at the bottom of your baking dish, place two eggplant slices, followed by two tomato slices on each eggplant slice and then mozzarella slices. Top with about a 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs. Repeat this step about two or three more times. Sprinkle more breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and dried herbs on top, and then drizzle with some olive oil.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and crisp, about 45 minutes.
More vegetarian recipes
Warm tofu with spicy garlic sauce recipe
Low-sodium shiitake mushroom and veggie stir-fry recipe
Pasta salad with black-eyed peas and corn recipe