Date Night Dishes…
The Best Gift
Give her the gift of relaxation this Christmas by preparing a surprise breakfast in bed. If your kitchen skills are lacking, she'll even appreciate a properly presented bowl of cereal or a few store bought pastries. It's the thought that counts and this thoughtful quiche recipe idea will score you a few points for sure.
Ladies, if you are reading this, step away but feel free to forward to the man in your life. This one is for the guys. After several long weeks filled with baking, decorating, shopping and doing all things thoughtful for everyone else, the lady in your life deserves a special treat. Sure, she'd love jewelry or that new handbag she has been eyeing, but what she'll really appreciate is some old fashioned pampering. If you are on a budget, this gift is even better. Get up a little early on Christmas morning and get to work playing Santa. Breakfast in bed, complete with a mimosa or two, will not only show her how much you appreciate all she has done to make the holidays brighter, but it will also save you one trip to the mall.
No need to get crazy with a four course meal -- all the extra noise may wake her up. Prepare a quiche, which you can even do the night before, with her favorite ingredients and pop it in the oven. Serve it with a side of fresh fruit and some hot coffee. A little relaxation on Christmas day will be the best gift of all.
- 1 pie crust
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup feta cheese, divided in half
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, diced
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, diced
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- Sea salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare pie crust or use a store bought version and lay it in the bottom of a pie dish.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, half of feta cheese, spinach, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers and olives. Add salt and pepper and garlic and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into the pie dish. If it is really full, place pie dish on a cookie sheet in case it spills over.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the center is firm and doesn't jiggle when you take it out. If the crust starts to get too brown, cover with a piece of foil.
- When it is cooked, slice and top with diced tomatoes and feta cheese. Serve hot.
More breakfast recipes
Low-fat coffee cake
Vegetarian breakfast recipes
Orange French toast