Meatloaf is one of those easy dishes that's perfect any day of the week. But instead of one big loaf why not make individual ones for each member of the family?
Meat loaf is a classic family dinner dish that's been around for ages. The reason it's stood the test of time? Because it's easy, delicious and always has leftovers. (As a matter of fact, one of my favorite meals is a meat loaf sandwich the day after.) But the one thing I hate about a big meat loaf is that it's always so greasy coming out of that loaf pan. So now I've started making my meat loaf without the pan. It allows the grease to drip off making it less fattening and significanly less greasy.
Although I've been making meat loaf without the pan for awhile now, I never thought of making mini versions so that each family member could add whatever toppings they desired without affecting the rest of the loaf. Cooking Light provided that little bit of inspiration, and in my opinion it's pure brilliance. Now not only can the whole family enjoy this classic dish, they can make it their own.
Cheesy mini meat loaves
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup, divided
- 3 ounces white cheddar cheese, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cook the breadcrumbs in a skillet over medium-high heat until they're toasted, about three minutes.
- While the breadcrumbs cook, coat another large skillet with cooking spray and sauté the onions and garlic over medium-high heat for three minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the onion mixture, breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup of ketchup and the remaining ingredients. Shape the meat mixture into six (4x2-inch) loaves on a foil covered broiler pan. Spread two teaspoons of ketchup over each loaf. Bake for 25 minutes or until done. Serve immediately.
Other meat loaf recipes
Barbecued meat loaf in a crock pot
Lentil & rice no-meat loaf
Mix it quick meat loaf