Perfect Breakfast Cake For The Holidays
The holidays are the one time of year we can all let loose and indulge a little. However, a few indulgences here and there add up and before you know it, you're stuck in your fat pants come January cursing those extra cookies you ate. Well, since passing up a Christmas cookie or chocolate dreidel is illegal, keep calories down in the morning and indulge later. Instead of eggs or oatmeal, enjoy this low-fat coffee cake. Because this recipe is made with low-fat sour cream and a mere two tablespoons of butter, you can have your cake and eat it too -- guilt free!
Your day can't be bad if it starts out with cake, right? This mouthwatering coffee cake recipe is incredibly moist and delicious, without all the added fat and calories of the original! Enjoy with a piping hot cup of coffee or a spiced glass of nog. (Hey, it's the holidays -- a little extra booze goes a long way.)
Low-fat coffee cake
Yields: About 8 slices
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided use
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of butter, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Cooking spray
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 8 x 8-inch glass cake pan.
- In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, cream sugar and applesauce. Stir in vanilla and add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in sour cream.
- Gradually add flour mixture to applesauce mixture, careful to stir after each addition. Mix until creamy. Pour into greased cake pan.
- To prepare topping, mix brown sugar, melted butter and walnuts until moistened. Crumble topping over cake batter and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes or until browned and a toothpick inserted comes out dry.
More healthy breakfast ideas
Fast, healthy breakfast recipes for school
Healthy breakfast sandwich recipe
Vegan breakfast recipes