For Holiday Stress!
'Tis the season to bake, eat, shop, decorate and drink! The holiday season comes with many wonderful things, but also many stressful things, like budgets, crowd surfing in shopping malls, weight gain and family drama. Instead of having a Clark Griswold type breakdown on Christmas Eve, serve and enjoy this homemade spiked eggnog to soothe everyone's nerves and enjoy the holidays with a little buzz!
Nothing takes the stress out of the holidays like a glass of heavily spiked eggnog! Indulge guilt-free this year by making this skinnier version of the high fat favorite, made with nonfat milk. Serve yours spiked with rum, bourbon or even vodka (I highly suggest whipped cream flavored vodka) with a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg!
Eggnog recipe adapted from Food Network.
Low-fat spiked eggnog
Yields: About 6 (1/2 cup) servings
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 large eggs plus one more egg yolk
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon flour
- Rum, bourbon or vodka
- Freshly grated nutmeg (or sprinkle pumpkin pie spice)
- Put 1-1/2 cups of the milk into a medium saucepan. Scrape the seeds out of the vanilla bean by cutting in half. Place seeds into saucepan with milk and simmer. While milk simmers, mix eggs, egg yolk, sugar and flour in a bowl until fully combined.
- Carefully pour hot milk mixture into the eggs, stirring with a whisk in between pours. Put mixture back on the stove and heat (medium heat) for about five to eight minutes, or until mixture is thick. Stir constantly.
- Remove mixture from heat and immediately stir in remaining milk. Place eggnog in a bowl and refrigerate before serving.
- Once chilled, spike with liquor to your taste. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice and enjoy!
More seasonal recipes
Festive ideas for holiday starters
Decadent holiday cookie recipes
Italian Christmas Eve recipes