Save The Envelopes
For The Mail!
Great after a day skiing, hiking, shopping or even an after-school treat, Mexican hot chocolate is a warm and delicious drink. What makes a yummy Mexican hot chocolate? The added seasonings and real chocolate and milk instead of a mix out of an envelope!
Mexican chocolate is grainier than other kinds of chocolate and is also used to make sauces like mole. It's flavored with cinnamon, almonds and vanilla, but this recipe calls for semisweet chocolate and added seasonings instead. Authentic Mexican hot chocolate is made with a molinillo (a special chocolate beater to make the hot drink frothy), but you can use a whisk for yours. Your drink might not be quite as frothy, but it'll still be tasty!
If you feel up for something even more special, add a few more ingredients to your drink: cayenne pepper and chili powder. It's a great way to add a bit of an adventure to your warm drink! Like most traditional recipes, there are many variations of Mexican hot chocolate. This version is sure to warm you to your toes and put a smile on your face!
Mexican hot chocolate
Serves 4 people
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup whipping cream for topping
- Dash of cayenne pepper and chili powder
- Place the half and half and the plain milk into a small saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Add the cinnamon.
- Scrape the seeds out of the vanilla bean and into the pan (if you're using the vanilla extract, add it now), and then add the brown sugar and chocolate.
- Whisk the mixture together until the chocolate has melted, and pour into four mugs.
- If you're using the optional seasonings, add them to the individual mugs.
- Top each with the whipping cream and serve immediately.
This version of Mexican hot chocolate will definitely warm you! It's tasty with a little something special to take you beyond ordinary hot chocolate.
More warm drinks for cold days
Creamy hot buttered rum
Spiked hot chocolate