If a pumpkin shortage has hit your area or you are just in the mood to try something different, sweet potatoes are a perfect alternative. They are packed with flavor and may even make for a better pie.
There's another orange pie filling which doesn't get as much credit this time of year. While we are consumed with all things pumpkin, the sweet potato gets left out. Don't underestimate the power of this handy ingredient which is often less expensive and more readily available than pumpkin. If you live in the South, you are likely familiar with the sweet potato pie. If not, practice your best drawl, and bake one this Thanksgiving. You may not even miss the pumpkin.
I trust none other than Paula Deen to make an excellent Southern dish such as this one. Her version of a sweet potato pie recipe is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser.
- 2 cups peeled, cooked sweet potatoes
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 stick melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 to 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the filling, using an electric hand mixer, combine the potatoes, one cup of the sugar, the butter, eggs, vanilla, salt and spices. Mix thoroughly. Add the milk and continue to mix. Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Place the pie on a rack and cool to room temperature before covering with meringue.
- For the meringue, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form; beat in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar one tablespoon at a time. Continue beating until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is glossy and stiff, but not dry. With a rubber spatula, spoon the meringue onto the pie, forming peaks. Make sure the meringue touches the crust all around. Sprinkle with a pinch of granulated sugar. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until delicately browned. Cool and serve.
More Thanksgiving pie recipes
Pecan pie recipe
Classic pumpkin pie with maple whipped cream
Double-crust spiced apple pie