Pumpkin cake bars recipe
These cake bars are made with Greek yogurt rather than butter or oil. Serve with cream cheese frosting for a delicious holiday dessert. You might want to double the recipe — this pumpkin cake will go fast.
Serves about 16
For the cake
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Cooking spray
For the frosting
- 5 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds, chopped
- To make the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8-inch glass cake plate with cooking spray.
- Mix pumpkin, yogurt, vanilla, egg whites and sugar well in a large mixing bowl. Once combined, add in baking soda, baking powder, flour, salt and pumpkin pie spice until fully mixed.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until cake comes out dry when inserted with a toothpick.
- To make the frosting: Mix cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla together. Once cake has cooled, frost and garnish with toasted almonds.