Scare Your Friends With These Lifelike Cookies!
With Halloween just weeks away, it's time to whip out the spooky treats and terrifying sweets! Whether you are planning a ghastly dinner party or are just looking for a way to terrify your honey, these gruesome, bloody severed fingers cookies are the perfect after-dinner dessert! My recommended scare tactic? Place one of these mutilated appendages on your coworker's keyboard or your husband's pillow. They'll think twice before crossing you again!
Looks just like the real thing at first glance, right? These will be an instant hit at any Halloween party, adult and child alike!
Bloody, severed finger cookies
Yields: About 16 fingers
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 16 almond halves (about 8 whole almonds cut in half)
- 2 eggs (divided)
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup room temperature butter (about 1 stick)
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons of white sugar (or brown for a great taste!)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of red food coloring
- 1/4 cup of cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheets.
- Place red food coloring in a bowl. Add almond halves and let sit until almonds are a deep red color.
- Separate one egg. Set egg white aside. Beat butter, sugar, egg (and additional yolk), almond and vanilla extract in a bowl with a handheld mixer. Once creamed, gradually add flour, baking powder and salt until fully mixed. The mixture will be thick in consistency.
- Wrap dough in waxed paper or plastic wrap and place in the fridge to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Once dough has chilled, split in half. Keep the half you aren't using chilled in the fridge while you work.
- On a lightly floured surface, place the dough and break into pieces (less than an inch wide) and form fingers. Using the back of a small knife, make small "knuckle" indents and squeeze cookie gently in where the knuckle should be. Place the almond on the top of the fingernail area and make a few additional indents underneath the almond.
- Gently brush finger with egg white and bake for about 15 minutes or until fingers are golden brown.
- Drizzle cherry pie filling (mashed) over the ends of the fingers to make them appear severed. Dip fingers in additional filling and enjoy!
More spooky treat recipes
Zombie cupcakes: The walking dead attack!
How to make a graveyard cake
Wicked witch cake