Soon the season for special side dishes will be upon us. You might find it challenging to think of a delicious, gluten-free side dish option if you are cooking for someone who has dietary restrictions. Give this vegetable side dish from Delish a try before you're ready for the real holiday deal.
Practice for the holidays with this side dish, but beware: It's so good you may not want to wait for a special occasion!
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten free.
Serves 10 people
Seasoned Onions, carrots and mushrooms
- 1-1/2 pounds pearl onions
- 2 bag(s) (1-pound) baby carrots
- 16 large thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin, pure olive oil
- 1-1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces mixed wild mushrooms (cremini, shiitake and oyster)
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter
- 1/2 cup gluten-free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, then add the onions. Blanch for about two minutes; then drain in a colander and allow them to cool. Trim the stem and root ends, then slip the onions out of their skins.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Place the onions and carrots each on a separate baking sheet with sides. To each sheet, add 8 thyme sprigs, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and toss until the vegetables are coated evenly. Roast for about 25 minutes, tossing the vegetables several times until they're lightly caramelized and slightly tender. Then allow them to cool.
- Quarter the cremini mushrooms. Remove the stems from the shiitake mushrooms and slice the caps. Slice the oyster mushrooms. In a large, deep skillet over high heat, melt the butter and sauté the mushrooms until they're tender, about four minutes. Add the roasted onions, carrots, broth and vinegar to the mushrooms. Cook, tossing the vegetables with a large spoon, until the broth and vinegar have evaporated and the vegetables are heated through, about three to four minutes. Add the tarragon and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and toss before serving.
More Gluten-free Friday recipes
Gluten-free pumpkin chocolate chip muffins
Gluten-free Parmesan-topped cornbread
Gluten-free macaroni and cheese