Fast Food Chain Revamps Classic Burger

Wendy's began serving its new Dave's Hot 'N Juicy burger on Monday. Hot 'N Juicy reinvents the fast food chain's 42-year-old classic burger, but some are asking if it's good enough.

Wendy's-Dave's-Hot-N-Juicy

Wendy's rolled out their new Dave's Hot 'N Juicy burger yesterday, updating their old school burger. It wasn't just any new burger, however. It was a well planned, well thought out update to Wendy's classic burger.

According to Marketing Mag, the fast food chain went so far as to consult a pickle chemist. Wendy's executives "went on a cross-country burger-eating tour." No stone was left unturned during the two-and-a-half year process.

"Our food was already good," Denny Lynch, a Wendy's spokesperson, said. "We wanted it to be better. Isn't that what long-term brands do? They reinvent themselves."

Last year, it was new french fries and this year, it's the burger. And while the Dave's Hot 'N Juicy certainly looks like a reinvention, many are asking whether it's enough of one to boost the fast food chain's sales.

In a Yahoo article, healthy food advocate Debbie Henthorn lists five reasons the new Wendy's burger might not be the golden ticket. In particular, she points out Dave's Hot 'N Juicy's price. "Fancy names and marketing aside, the new Dave's Hot 'N Juicy burger is still a 4-ounce burger with cheese and a few other toppings," she writes.

And as Time notes, the double burger is a "calorie bomb" -- packing a whopping 810 calories (430 of them from fat) and 48 grams of fat.

However, after all of those taste tests, Wendy's thinks they created the perfect burger, named after their founder. We have no idea, but the pictures certainly make it look like a yummy burger!

(Image courtesy of Wendys.com)

Tell us:

Will you try Wendy's new Dave's Hot 'N Juicy burger?

Share in the comment section below!

Tags: wendy's

Comments

Comments on "Wendy's new burger: Dave's Hot 'N Juicy"

Stephanie July 12, 2013 | 7:51 PM

I really enjoyed Wendy's and it has been my go to burger, a single, cheese, ketchup and pickles, for 30 years. Since the change...I can't get past the first bite. I give up. I pick up a frosty and my kids eat the chicken, but no more burgers. I'm disappointed. Honestly, the new process makes the restaurant smell badly, too.

greg July 01, 2013 | 7:32 PM

btw did they screw with the frosty?? i see an ad that frosty's can be ordered in a cone now, i thought how is that ? frosty's are nice and soupy-(perfect) well now they are so thick my sons spoon broke trying to eat the frosty ---serious?? :(

greg July 01, 2013 | 7:27 PM

fries are terrible salty and get cold fast , like the juicy burger but turned off by the pickles they are dreadfull hate to say but they make burger king good to me now and BK is garabage

Chris January 13, 2013 | 12:04 PM

Wendy if your father was alive her would disown you, I'm sure her didn't plan one you ruining his classic burger with your crap, I used to LOVE that restaurant, went there 2+ times a week now I havent been there in. a year! I'm actually glad my grandfather passed away before you could have ruined his favorite burger! the only positive is the new pretty redhead on the commercials. yours truly, another lost customer

harry September 15, 2012 | 4:54 PM

we used to love Wendys Mandarin salad but that changed. it became more industrial (without sole). it just wasn't the same. we tried many times but just couldn't get into the new version of what we loved. the hamburgers were something to look forward to. i loved them. but then that changed. the new versions taste greasy and tasteless to me. i figured that might be what frequently happens when a product is updated to make it more healthy. so we put up with it thinking we would get used to the new taste. but that never happened. we are very disappointed in what Wendy's has become. still we go once in a while mostly to see if anything has improved. not yet. i could put up with the lowered expectations if the product was more healthy. but then i found its over 800 calories with lots of fat. not good. i feel deceived. i sure hope this good company gets their act together before we lose a good American company.

mark valant July 21, 2012 | 6:52 PM

Butter on the burgers have just made it worse and I hear they no longer drain their patties . And the package is so inconvenient when eating in a car....please Wendy's go back to what you had before

Laurel July 05, 2012 | 12:53 PM

I am a butter person. I have tried three of the new nasty burgers. The buns were greasy but not buttery...tasted more like 'butter flavored' margarine or shortening which are not. No more Wendy's for me!

yvette May 05, 2012 | 6:48 AM

I agree wendys burgers are really nasty now why !!!!!!

old style March 17, 2012 | 11:56 AM

Look, Wendy's must know the new burger is inferior, this has to be intentional so that when they bring back their famous old style burger sales will be through the roof!!!

Weberoo February 14, 2012 | 11:56 AM

Wendy's Dave's Juicy is terrible...I have tried it 3 times in the Kernersville NC store and it was flat and dry all three times. Not going back

Avidan2006 February 10, 2012 | 5:59 PM

The new burger is delicious! I don't eat out very often, as it's expensive, but when I do, I prefer to get a classic single and large fries. I was surprised when I tried the new burger, but it ended up being very good. Tasty, crispy, melty, good. Mmm...

randy February 03, 2012 | 6:13 AM

Wendys have a good menu but I never liked the grey no flavor patties and the stick to the top of your mouth mush buns which were cold to boot.I asked about a year ago if they could toast my bun and was told NO "we have no means to do it" What about the grill. NO.. ANYWAY perhaps if I ask for no butter I cant be worse can it??

Doug January 21, 2012 | 1:10 PM

Wendys was always my favorite. They changed the fries to this new foul style, but I could live with that, just order burgers and no fries. But now they have gone and ruined that great burger! Unbelievable! Dave must be rolling over in his grave. Guess it's time to try Five Guys, hear they are good. What waste- The board if directors needs to fire Dave's daughter.

john January 12, 2012 | 12:50 PM

I do not eat fast food much, but whenever I had a burger in mind it was always Wendy's. I tried the new burger a few times at different locations and it always came back the same. Not as good. I do not care for the new wrapper either. What a pain. The pickles are horrible and the crunchy lettuce is gone as well. Perhaps I am not the "new style" target they are talking about, but I haven't been to a Wendy's since October last year. The new burger is just not worth it. It is not as good as the old one and they even raised the price. Sorry Wendy's. Until I hear that you changed it back I will not be a Wendy's customer. I'm not mad that you tried something new, just disappointed. Coke recovered, maybe you can too,

Robin January 09, 2012 | 5:09 AM

I've always loved Wendy's but this new "buttered bun burger" is horrible. I took one bite and the buttery grease literally dripped onto my lap. The butter totally tainted the taste of the beef, the mayo, even the ketchup tasted greasy. I threw out the rest of the burger and ate my semi-warm fries. Wendy's, you just lost a very loyal customer!

jim cooper December 01, 2011 | 5:39 PM

what idot decided to put bread and butter pickes on a hamburger. I won't be going back to wendys, these new burgers are terrible.

John & Bern November 24, 2011 | 8:35 AM

We do not like the new Wendy's burger. What is with the buttered roll? I asked for no butter and they said sorry has to be buttered. The calories also shot up with the new burger. Bring back the old burger with Mustard! I do like the New fries. I think Wendy's has lost us as customers.

benmac November 21, 2011 | 8:32 AM

The new sandwiches are terrible. The pickles are the worst part of the sandwich.

Steve James November 07, 2011 | 12:07 PM

The new burger was awesome. Some stupid ----- below me said the grease was a problem. It's just as greasy as the old one moron. The whole I can feel the fat being sucked into my veins comment may have been the most uneducated statement I have ever heard as well.

DaRudeNigga November 07, 2011 | 12:03 PM

The burger was awesome. All you people do is ------- -----. You claim you like the old burger but the new was just SOOOO much worse. It's essentially the same thing. A lot of you people are complaining about the vegetables on it yet they use the same vegetables on the old burger as this one yet somehow miraculously the old burger was great and this one sucks. The only difference was pretty much the butter factor which barely had any effect on it. It wasn't much of a change from the old one but for all of you ------- who say the old one was so much better, well there really wasn't that much of a change at all so shut the ---- up and don't complain.