Celebrate Samhain like a true vampire or at least like Bill Compton would by sipping on this utterly frightening cocktail. It is werewolf approved and tastes great with the True Blood finale.
While the majority of television shows are finally rising from the summer dead, True Blood is being laid to rest for another season. Blood sucking aficionados everywhere are mourning, but it's nothing a good cocktail won't fix. Mix up a batch, let out a howl and enjoy this libation during your True Blood finale party. After a few sips, you may be able to harness a few supernatural abilities of your own.
The mixologists at Betty Crocker created this True Blood-inspired cocktail as part of their Fan Fare series. Avoid drinking this during a full moon. The True Blood finale airs on HBO this Sunday, Sept. 11 at 9 p.m.
Blood-red sangria cocktail
- Ice cubes
- 1-1/2 ounces citron vodka
- 1 ounce clear orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 ounce sangria simple syrup, chilled
- 1 dark sweet cherry on a cocktail pick
Sangria simple syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup red wine, such as Merlot or Zinfandel
- 1 cup dark sweet cherries, stemmed, pitted and halved
- 1 stick cinnamon
- Strips of orange peel from 1 medium orange (orange part only)
- To make simple syrup, mix sangria simple syrup ingredients in a 1-1/2 quart saucepan. Heat to boiling over medium heat. Simmer three minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; let cool 30 minutes. Strain mixture through fine mesh strainer; discard solids. Cover and chill sangria syrup until ready to use. Makes about 1-1/2 cups.
- To make cocktail, fill cocktail shaker with ice. Add vodka and orange liqueur to cocktail shaker; cover and shake. Strain into martini glass. Drizzle sangria syrup into cocktail in glass.
- Garnish with cherry.
||Use a vegetable peeler to remove strips of orange peel. Be sure to remove only the orange part of the peel. The white part, called pith, is bitter.
More inspired cocktail recipes
"Mad Men" inspired cocktails and food
Jersey Shore cocktail recipes
Harry Potter-themed cocktails