Labor Day is all about backyard barbecues and end-of-summer parties. So for your backyard get together, why not grill some fruit along with your protein? Sweet and savory make a great team.
There's nothing that I like more during these final days of summer than a great fruit salad, especially a fruit salad made with grilled fruit. That's right, grilled fruit. While I do like my fruit straight off the tree or vine, grilling it brings out a rich sweetness that you just can't get when you eat fruit raw. But better than grilled fruit is piling said fruit on top of a grilled piece of meat. The sweet fruit combines perfectly with the salty protein, making for a dinner entrée that no one will expect, not even your Labor Day guests.
Grilled Pork and Peaches
- 4 boneless pork chops
- 2 peaches, halved and pitted
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the grill on high. Brush the chops with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill for four to five minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- While the chops cook, brush the peach halves with oil and place on the grill face down. Grill for five minutes or until soft. Remove the peaches from the grill, slice and toss with the onions, blue cheese and vinegar. Top each chop with two spoonfuls of the peach mixture and serve.
Other Peach Recipes
Grilled peaches with brown sugar over vanilla bean ice cream
Grilled peaches with mascarpone cheese
Peach pound cake