Food Faceoff

Anthony Bourdain has been blasting Food Network chefs, but Paula Deen isn't taking the criticism lying down. Find out what Anthony Bourdain said about her and more importantly, how Paula Deen responded.

Anthony-Bourdain-Paula-Deen

Anthony Bourdain had a few things to say about Paula Deen and her cooking in this month's TV Guide. The New York Post reported Bourdain's comments about Deen and... ouch! While he also insulted Rachael Ray, Guy Fieri and Sandra Lee, his words about Deen were the most biting.

Nobody will argue that Paula Deen's cooking is healthy and she has certainly received criticism about it before, but Anthony Bourdain did a little more than cut to the chase. He called her "the worst, most dangerous person to America."

Not so nice, but it gets worse. "She revels in unholy connections with evil corporations, and she's proud of the fact that her food is f--king bad for you," Bourdain said in the interview.

"I would think twice before telling an already obese nation that it is OK to eat food that is killing us," Bourdain continued. And then he finished with the ultimate insult: "Plus, her food sucks."

Paula Deen isn't taking the verbal punches lying down, though. When the New York Post reached out to her for a response, she didn't hold back -- although she kept it a bit classier.

"Anthony Bourdain needs to get a life. You don't have to like my food, or Rachael's, Sandra's and Guy's. But it's another thing to attack our character," Deen said. "I wake up every morning happy for where I am in life. It's not all about the cooking, but the fact that I can contribute by using my influence to help people all over the country. In the last two years, my partners and I have fed more than 10 million hungry people by bringing meat to food banks."

Deen defends Rachael Ray, Guy Fieri and Sandra Lee, saying they are some of the most charitable people she knows. "I have no idea what Anthony has done to contribute besides being irritable," Deen added.

Paula Deen finishes her defense with a pretty clear message to Anthony Bourdain. "You know, not everybody can afford to pay $58 for prime rib or $650 for a bottle of wine," she said. "My friends and I cook for regular families who worry about feeding their kids and paying the bills . . . It wasn't that long ago that I was struggling to feed my family, too."

Anthony Bourdain said that he was done commenting yesterday, tweeting: "Next time I'm asked (for the millionth time) who the worst cooks on Food Network are, I'll just shut up. Who cares?" Let's see if Bourdain keeps that Twitter promise.

>> What do you think? Is Anthony Bourdain correct about Paula Deen and her unhealthy cooking, or is Bourdain just being mean?

(Photo credits: Nikki Nelson/WENN.com and C.Smith/WENN.com)

Comments

Comments on "Anthony Bourdain vs. Paula Deen: Cooking insults continue"

PJTN68 June 23, 2013 | 11:50 AM

I don't care for Anthony "Boredom".. He thinks he is above all chefs! I don't like his attitude or his demeanor! He is way to silly and who is he kidding when he eats all that crap??? Southern cooking is what it is..Southern...if you don't like stay the hell out of the South and southern chef's business!! Hmmm maybe he is the one stirring up all of Paula's recent woes??!!

L33t May 26, 2012 | 8:41 PM

I'm sorry this website is dominated by ignorant southerners. Anthony Bourdain is a REAL chef unlike Paula Deen.

Reginaqueen April 05, 2012 | 4:36 PM

I would support Anthony Bourdain except he's putting down my favorite chefs. It is irrelevant that, for instance, Paula Deen's recipes are not the most healthy foods in the world but no one can argue that they aren't some of the most satisfying and appetizing meals I've ever prepared or eaten. Same for Guy and Rachel, and the other Food Network chefs. Perhaps Mr. Bourdain envies the attention that Paula and the others get, and finds putting others down is the only way to up his ratings, who knows. All I know is that I can't possibly support an ass, and will continue to support and eat any dish that Paula presents to her public, and I know I am not the only one who feels this way. Enough already!

John March 28, 2012 | 7:00 AM

Here is another perfect example of people who are simply so narrow-minded. OMG grass root, bugs, warthog intestines, icky yucky... Indians are more offended by you people? How about the fact you're sitting around eating food with so much fat that makes you all fatter than a whale. That food you find disgusting provides that community with nutrients that would otherwise be lacking, by saying things are icky you're ------- insulting that group of people in the worst possible way, trust me if you're poor and have food is a constant struggle and someone comes in an says icky to your food... You are the ------- devil to those people. Think about that next time you about how Anthony Bourdain, he eats that food not because of enjoyment but because he wants to be truly polite and gentleman. So ------- all of you, if I ever meet one of you in real life I'd ------- run you over.

John March 28, 2012 | 6:51 AM

Ok, I just have to say to all you people here whose completely clueless to culture and anything outside of your own little world in your mind... AA? Gentlemen in the south? Really?!! You people are obviously stereotypical Americans with no idea of the rest of the world. There is a reason why Anthony Bourdain is the most beloved American chef and personality, because he JUST GETS IT! AA, his drinking is weak compared to rest of the world. Gentleman in the south, it's all fake politeness with no real sense of true human care. Get over yourselves people, if you ever lived in any other part of the world outside of your own without being taken care of by western amenities while you're there, you love Anthony Bourdain. God is it any wonder why the rest of the world hates Americans.

Jean January 19, 2012 | 12:46 PM

I love her to death, nothing intended, she is very entertaining. Her recipes are from home cooking, we are intelligent enough to make substitutes for some of the high caloric high fat ingredients if we happen to like what she is preparing that segment . Anthony need to get off his high horse.

Marion January 18, 2012 | 6:30 PM

Paula Deen cooks good, down home Southern food-- and she's a Southern lady. Real Southern ladies and gentlemen have enough manners to know not to kick a man when he's down. Maybe Mr. Bourdain needs to spend some time down south to learn how to be a real gentleman.

thunderbird January 18, 2012 | 12:25 PM

anthony Bourdain is an ----,he just wants to stay in the spot light,I never did like him on his show (no reservations)he drinks like a fish,I will never watch him again after the awful things he has said,who cares what you think

Edith Austin January 14, 2012 | 4:18 PM

While every one has the right to their opinion, Anthony Bourdain has a lot of nerve. I have watched his show and he drinks alcohol like a fish. I don't see AA coming after him about his bad habits. Besides that he eats all kinds of foods from all over the globe. People need to tell the truth. Noone seemed worried about what black people ate for years during slavery and years beyond slavery. It's not the food it is what is being added to what the animals eats, the produce the fruit and the ways its' canned and frozen. I don't see anyone being forced to eat what anyone cooks unless you are in prision. Anthony Bourdain, shame on you. We'd be acholics if we took after you. The lessor of two evils I don't think so.....EA

Roy December 30, 2011 | 9:15 AM

Bourdain is boorish liberalism at it's finest. Paula doesn't eat snake poop and all the other things Booringdane is for. Overpaid snobbery.

Bobby D September 05, 2011 | 8:27 PM

Anthony Bourdain, he become famous for speaking his mind about food and chefs around the world, and has gained a lot of respect from chefs in the industry. Paula Deens personality is repelling at best, and being a chef myself, think her show is ridiculous and I wouldn't ever want to use any of her recipes ever. If you're looking for real southern food without pounds of butter and sugar, look up John Besh.

Marcy Ayres August 30, 2011 | 8:10 PM

STOP BEING SUCH A TOOL TONY.

Linda August 30, 2011 | 3:05 PM

Anthony has stooped to trashing others. He is like the playground bully that mistreats others because of his own insecurities. Shame on you Mr Bourdain! You are not 12 years old anymore so quit with the adolescent behavior. Some of us put others down so we can feel higher up. Then there are those that just work at making their own lives mean something. Those you have put down make me smile and even laugh. I won't ever watch Anthony Bourdain again.

Jennifer August 30, 2011 | 11:23 AM

The food network is what it is. It teaches and inspires the fundamentals of cooking. The network has personalities that are happy, positive and without depth. When its audience evolves with their preferences they will turn elsewhere for their inspiration. Anthony inspires me and his jaded "celebrity chef" sensibilities mirror my own.

Debbie August 30, 2011 | 9:37 AM

Bourdain is a loud mouth, ignorant, egotistical and jealous creep. He has knocked all of the most popular chefs and cooks. As far as Paula goes, if Bourdain really knew what he was talking about, her sons and herself have often joked about all the butter she uses, but also have stated that they do not always cook and eat like what is shown on her shows. His fame is fading fast, but nastiness won't gain it back. You go Paula, and Rachael, and Sandra, and Guy!!!

Arlene B. Heed August 30, 2011 | 7:59 AM

I agree with both of them. Yes, Paula Deen's cooking has way too much butter and sugar in it. But, as she says, she is cooking for regular American families and she never has claimed to be a health chef. Yes, Anthony Bourdain is a gourmet chef who loves expensive steaks and wines. Which is great for wealthy young people and wealthy families. He is catering to an elite section of society.

Terri August 29, 2011 | 6:08 AM

Personally I think he is just trying to gain some spotlight from all her fame. She is a household name, where as if you don't watch his shows you have no idea who he is... until now. Honestly it was brilliant. And I LOVE her cooking. How can you go wrong with a little bit of butter? LOL Seriously she does have recipes that are healthy, like all chefs/cooks. They cook a VERIETY of foods, and it is hard to cook southern foods without something unhealthy- she does a terrific job of it, and he is just crass, but that is what he is famous for.

Alice August 26, 2011 | 12:36 PM

Tony is just being plain ass mean maybe he should look in the mirror and ask himself what kind of role model he is to America. He is just another low class lush in my opinion. Leave Paula alone!!!

Tammy August 26, 2011 | 11:52 AM

Just down right MEAN!!!! If you don't agree that's one thing but to put Paula down like that is just wrong. Won't be watching Anthony anymore....

m August 24, 2011 | 6:56 AM

I don't care for any of them. I like Mario Batalli and Alton Brown. I don't care for Emeril either. I loved David Rosengarten's show Taste when it was on the Food Network.