One of the easiest breakfast meals to make is pancakes. Keep in mind -- especially if you haven’t had your morning coffee -- that reaching for the usual pancake mix might not be suitable for you if you have gluten allergies.
This recipe is easy to make and gluten-free. For an extra-special start to the day, try the berry compote as your topping (pure maple syrup is gluten free, but be sure to read the ingredients of other pancake syrups).
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten free.
Serves 2-4 people
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the egg and beat it until it's frothy.
- Add the buttermilk, oil and honey and beat until all the ingredients are combined.
- In another medium-sized bowl, add the brown rice flour, gluten-free baking powder and baking soda and mix together.
- Form a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and slowly add the wet ingredients.
- Stir the mixture until all the ingredients are mixed together. Don't overmix and allow for the batter to have a few lumps in it.
- Using a lightly greased frying pan over medium-high heat, drop the pancake batter gently into the pan, one or two at a time.
- Allow the pancake to form air bubbles on the top surface and for the bottoms to become lightly golden, then flip.
- Cook the other side of the pancake until it becomes lightly golden.
- 2 cups frozen blackberries (or berry of your choice)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 4 tablespoons honey
- Using a microwave-safe bowl, add the berries and microwave for about 2-3 minutes. Add the cornstarch, mix well and microwave for another 2 minutes.
- Add the orange juice and honey and stir until well combined.
- Set the mixture aside.
- When the pancakes are finished, put the berry compote in the microwave to warm up, for about 30 seconds.
- Top your pancakes with the compote.
More gluten-free recipes
Gluten-free sandwich bread
On-the-go gluten-free breakfast bars
Gluten-free baking flour and cookies
Gluten-free macaroni and cheese
Gluten-free BBQ sauce
Gluten free: Mushroom and green pea risotto
Gluten free: Roast red pepper hummus