A Meatless Monday Cookout
When most people think of gatherings for the Fourth of July, their minds gravitate toward the grill -- and meat. This patriotic holiday typically goes hand-in-hand with burgers, dogs and other grill-able meats.
Don't be worried that your Meatless Monday Independence Day cookout will be filled with only side dishes and guests wondering what's on your grill. A meatless cookout is easier than you think. Try the following options for a celebration that will go off with a bang!
- Make homemade veggie burgers like easy grilled eggplant burgers. These burgers are a great stand-in for beef. They're nutritious, tasty and filling.
- Get your fill of veggies with these sweet potato burgers with chipotle mayo.
- Use the season's bounty with these homemade veggie burgers with avocado sauce.
- You can also buy pre-packaged veggie burgers from most grocery stores, as well as hotdog substitutes, too. Yves Veggie Cuisine makes several meatless hotdog and brat options. Boca makes veggie patties, "chicken" patties and even ground crumbles that would be great used as a stuffing for grilled peppers, or as one of the ingredients for tacos. Try Amy's for tasty burger alternatives with options like a quarter-pound veggie burger or a "Texas" veggie burger.
- Grill these Portobello mushroom burgers. Portobello mushrooms are large, hearty and pair nicely with a sandwich bun. Perfect for the grill, make an easy marinade for them and top them with some tasty cheese.
Meatless appetizers, side dishes and desserts
Nothing beats a cookout for a fantastic Fourth of July, and a Meatless Monday cookout is no exception!
More meatless meal ideas
Baked Asiago tomatoes
Southwestern kale salad
Miso-glazed grilled eggplant