Grits are always delicious for breakfast with a little butter, but add some cheddar cheese and you've turned a classic breakfast food into the perfect base for a savory dinner.
I've always thought of grits as a breakfast food, especially since it's kept in the cereal aisle at the grocery store. But thanks to Real Simple, I've discovered that grits can be a wonderful base for a dinner entreé as well. Add some cheese and you've created the perfect side to any supper recipe. So, any time you're thinking of adding rice or couscous to your meal, consider this other grain instead. It's a nice, rich alternative that everyone from adults to children will lap up.
Shrimp and Bacon with Cheddar Grits
- 4 cups grits
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 4 slices of bacon, cut into pieces
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Cook the grits according to package directions. Gradually add and stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 6 minutes. With a slotted-spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel to drain and set aside.
- Add the shrimp and tomatoes to the bacon grease in the skillet and cook, tossing occasionally, until the shrimp are pink and cooked through, 3-5 minutes. Fold in the scallions and bacon.
- Spoon a cup of grits into each of four bowls. Spoon the shrimp and bacon mixture over the grits and serve.
Other Grits Recipes from She Knows
Baked cheese grits
Cinnamon roasted chicken with pumpkin-sage grits
Ranch sausage grits