Celebrate mom and her health by serving a delicious and nutritious Mother’s Day spread, featuring healthy recipes made of fresh, flavorful ingredients. Shop your local farmers’ market for spring fruits and vegetables and opt for organic, free range eggs and poultry. This healthy Mother’s Day menu is easy, ecofriendly, and impressive.
Shrimp and Pico de Gallo Bites
Visit your local co-op or fish purveyor for ecofriendly shrimp and, if unavailable, simply substitute your mom's favorite sustainable fish.
Makes 15 servings
- 1/2 cup cooked, medium-sized shrimp, diced
- 1 ripe, firm avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, diced
- 1 vine-ripe tomato, halved, seeded, chopped
- 1 green onion, minced (white and green parts)
- 1 tablespoon minced yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise made with olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1, 15-count box mini fillo shells
- 15 cilantro sprigs for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine shrimp, avocado, tomato, green onion, bell pepper, mayonnaise, vinegar, and cilantro, stirring gently to combine; seaon with salt and pepper; refrigerate while preparing shells.
- Bake shells according to package directions until lightly browned; let cool completely.
- Divide shrimp mixture among fillo cups; garnish each with a sprig of cilantro and serve immediately.
Oven-Baked Chicken Breasts with Jicama-Mango Salsa
Lightly crusted oven-baked chicken breasts topped with a sweet salsa are the perfect Mother's Day meal.
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons finely grated orange zest, divided
- 2 free range, organic eggs
- 6 boneless, skinless, free range, organic chicken breast halves, pounded to even thickness
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted, diced
- 1 cup diced jicama
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, minced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease a large baking dish.
- Place pistachios, bread crumbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, coriander, cumin, and 1 1/2 tablespoons in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Place pistachio mixture in a shallow dish; whisk eggs in a second shallow dish.
- Dip chicken in eggs, then roll in pistachio mixture to coat; let excess coating fall off and place chicken in the prepared baking dish; bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is lightly browned and chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine remaining orange zest, orange juice, mango, jicama, jalapeño, and cilantro; season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, place chicken breasts on a serving platter and top with salsa.
Sautéed Leeks, Carrots, and Red Pepper
To make this eye-catching, healthy Mother's Day recipe an easy task, use a julienne tool that will quickly cut the vegetables into matchstick-thin pieces. This is a delicious alternative to a plain green salad.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 carrots, julienned
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts, julienned
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded, julienned
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons baby thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add carrots, leeks, and bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender and just starting to turn golden.
- Stir in garlic and lemon zest; cook, stirring often, until fragrant; add thyme and parsley, stirring to combine, then remove from heat; season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Apricot Coconut Crisp
Let Mom sink her fork into a Mother's Day dessert featuring warm, tender fruit under a crisp crunch of toasty coconut and oats.
- 2 pounds fresh apricots, pitted, quartered
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 6 to 8 tablespoons organic butter, softened
- 2 pints light vanilla bean ice cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine apricots, granulated sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon; pour apricot mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining cinnamon, brown sugar, flour, oats, coconut flakes, nutmeg, and butter; use your fingers to rub butter into the dry ingredients until crumbly.
- Sprinkle dry ingredients evenly over the apricots; bake for 35 minutes, or until the apricots are hot and bubbly and the topping is lightly browned.
- Serve with a scoop of light vanilla ice cream, if desired.
More Mother's Day menus and recipes
Mother's Day picnic recipes
Mother's Day grilling menu
Mother's Day brunch recipes