Some wonderful meals can be made with a slow cooker: Just throw your favorite ingredients in, turn it on, and go about your business for the day. A few hours later, dinner's ready and the best part is that you don't have to be at the stove all day.
I love my slow cooker, it saves me tons of time and wonderful meals always come from it. There are so many recipes I want to make, but with a toddler, I just don't have the time to stand over the stove stirring a pot for hours. So, any time a recipe calls for a slow cooker, I'm in.
Stew is a common choice for a slow cooker because the beef needs to cook for several hours before it can be served. Then you can either add the vegetables for the last hour or throw them in at the start so they're nice and tender. And with so many stew recipes, you could easily leave your slow cooker out all month and never have the same stew twice.
This Asian beef stew is a delicious choice for the slow cooker. It's the hoisin sauce and Chinese five spice powder that give it that Chinese flair and make it a nice alternative to your standard beef stew.
Asian Beef Stew
- 2 large onions, cut into wedges
- 2 pounds flank steak, cut for stir fry
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- In a 5-quart slow cooker, layer onion, beef, celery, and carrots.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together orange juice, broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and five spice powder; pour into slow cooker.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high heat for 5 hours.
- In a cup, mix 3 tablespoons of broth and cornstarch together until smooth; add to slow cooker and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Stir in frozen peas and cook for 5 more minutes; serve over rice.
Other Slow cooker Recipes from She Knows
Slow Cooker Apple Pie
Slow Cooker Chili Chicken Soup
Slow Cooker Mocha Coffee