Are you a fan of sweet and sour pork but don't want to spend the money? This recipe for caramel pork will make you think twice before you run to the local Chinese restaurant.
Chinese food is a family favorite in my house. We love ordering the egg rolls, wrapping up the mushu in those yummy pancakes, and eating as much fried rice as our tummies will handle. But take out can get expensive, and making some of these dishes at home is actually quite easy.
The rice, for example, is just plain white rice with onions, peas, and a little rice vinegar. And the pork can be made by simply mixing a few oils and sauces together in a hot skillet.
Still want some pot stickers or egg rolls for the full Chinese food experience? Most grocery stores carry them in the frozen foods section.
So, the next time you and your family are craving Chinese food for dinner, whip up some caramel pork and throw a few egg rolls in the oven. You'll have a delicious dinner for about half the price.
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup onion, chopped and divided
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups pork tenderloin, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- Combine water and rice in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes; remove from heat; stir in peas, 1/2 cup chopped onion, and rice vinegar and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat; add pork and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cooked through; add the rest of the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes; stir in broth, sugar, soy sauce, and ginger and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until sauce has thickened.
- Divide rice evenly between 4 plates, top each with pork mixture and serve immediately.
Other pork Recipes from She knows
Asian Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Pineapple
Five-Spice Pork and Vegetable Stir-Fry
Pork Filled Egg Rolls Appetizer