Something Extraordinary In Pizza
Not all pizzas are created equal. Some feature loads of cheese, delicious toppings, and maybe some garlic butter or ranch for the crusts. Other times you get something extraordinary like cider pork, bacon, and apple pizza. Yes, making a pizza like this at home will take work; you will have to braise the pork which can take several hours. In the end, though, you are going to have an unbelievable pizza pie and maybe some pork leftovers...so you can make more pizza.
Ingredients for cider pork, bacon, and apple pizza
For the cider pork:
- 1, 4 to 5 pound pork shoulder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
For the sauce:
- 1, 14-ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
For the cheese:
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 4 strips bacon or pancetta, crisped and crumbled
- 1 apple sliced vertically
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- Liberally coat the pork with salt and pepper, then place it in a crock pot; pour in the apple cider, apple, and apple cider vinegar; cook on low for 8 hours. When you are done, the pork should easily shred with 2 forks.
- To make the pizza, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- If you are using a crust mix, follow the package instructions for making and pre-baking the crust. If your mix does not have pre-baking instructions, bake it for 12 minutes in a 350 degree F oven. If you are using a premade crust, it doesn't have to be preheated.
- Make the sauce by mixing all sauce ingredients and bringing the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Construct the pizza by spreading a bit of the sweetened sauce over the crust, adding the cheese, and topping with bacon, apple, basil, and at least 1/2 pound of the cider pork.
- Bake the pizza until the cheese is melted, about 10 to 12 minutes.
More pizza recipes