Sandwiches Aren't Just For Lunch Anymore
Think it's impossible to have dinner on the table in an hour when you've been working all day? These grilled steak sandwiches will have you singing a different tune.
Before my son was born, my husband and I were never home from work before 8 or 9 o'clock at night. So, if we hadn't had dinner, that usually meant scrounging around in the refrigerator for leftovers, a quick quiche I could pop in the microwave, or making a sandwich with whatever we could find. A sandwich may sound like lunch fare, but we love them no matter what time of day because they're quick and easy and always delicious.
This grilled steak sandwich is no different, but because the flank steak is marinated in Indian spices, grilled, and then served on naan bread with a delectable yogurt sauce, this sandwich has just reached dinner status.
Grilled Steak Sandwich with Yogurt Sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound flank steak
- 4 naan breads
- 2 cups arrugala
For yogurt sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- In a large dish, mix together oil, lemon juice, cinnamon, garlic powder, and cumin; add flank steak and marinate at room temperature for 45 to 60 minutes, turning once.
- While the meat marinates, stir together yogurt, cilantro, lemon juice, garlic, and salt; chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a grill pan over high heat; add the steak and cook, turning once, about 5 minutes for medium rare; transfer to a cutting board and thinly slice steak across the grain.
- Heat naan in grill pan for 1 minute.
- Arrange meat and arrugula on half of each piece of naan; drizzle yogurt sauce over and fold naan in half to make a sandwich; serve immediately.
Other Grilled Recipes from She Knows
Bombay Grilled Duck
Florida Grapefruit and Jerk-grilled Chicken with Arugula Salad
Grilled Gruyere & Onion Flatbread