Best Brownie Basics: The Chocolate
The best type of chocolate to use when making the best homemade brownies is unsweetened cocoa powder instead of solid chocolate. Your brownies will come out with a smoother consistency and super fudgy. It's also easier to control the sweetness and texture of the final brownie product.
You can use either Dutch processed or natural cocoa powder, but you should do a simple taste test to determine which you like better. Natural cocoa is typically better suited for brownies because it has a more intense flavor, but if you like a darker-color brownie, then Dutch processed is the way to go.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Remember, however, natural cocoa is the only option if you're also using baking soda in the recipe. Dutch process can be used with baking powder.
Best Brownie Basics: Cakey v. Fudgy v. Chewy
Whether you like cakey, fudgy, or chewy brownies there is a way to make them.
- To make the best fudgy brownies, use less flour and an added egg yolk will do the trick.
- For the best cakey brownies, use less butter and flour and add baking soda to keep them light.
- For the best chewy brownies, more flour and whole eggs will make them perfect.
These are, of course, just general guidelines; feel free to experiment with ingredients to get your perfect, desired texture. You should try to start out with a baseline recipe and add or reduce ingredients as needed.
As far as baking to get the perfect texture, keep a close eye because a few minutes too much or too little in the oven can be the difference between the best and worst brownies.
Best Brownie Basics: Extra Flavors
If you are a chocoholic, then you probably will not want to add anything else to your brownies (unless you are adding chocolate chips), but if you need a little something extra, then keep reading.
- Nuts are the first go-to ingredient, which add some texture and taste.
- Marshmallows or marshmallow fluff are also great in brownies.
- Peanut butter is one of my favorite add-ins as are toffee or cream cheese.
- Coffee and mint can be something different or even butterscotch and caramel.
- For something even more different, swirl in jam like strawberry, grape, or raspberry flavor for a fruity surprise.
There are so many different options, simply mix in your favorite flavors for a truly unique and delicious brownie.
>>NEXT: Best Brownie Recipes