White Bean and Ham Soup
- 1 pound bag of Great Northern Beans, sorted and rinsed
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, diced
- 3 leeks, rinsed and sliced
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley
- Place rinsed beans in a large bowl and cover completely with cold water; allow beans to soak overnight.
- The following day, place ham hocks in a large pot and cover with 2 quarts of water; bring to a boil while preparing the vegetables.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat; add onion, leeks, celery, and carrots and cook for about five minutes. Stir in garlic and continue cooking for one minute; remove from heat.
- Turn heat down to low; add the drained beans, vegetables, and bay leaf to the pot with the ham hocks and stir to combine.
- Simmer for two hours, or until the beans are soft and the ham meat easily pulls away from the bone; pull the meat off the bone and discard the bones. Add salt and pepper to taste and finish with chopped fresh parsley.
More Soup Recipes From SheKnows
Hundreds of Soup Recipes from SheKnows!
Corn Soup Recipes
Low-Fat Creamy Soup Recipes