Do quesadillas sound boring to you? It's true, plain cheese and tortillas can be pretty boring, but add a little chicken, some peppers and tomatoes and you've got a delightfully tasty dinner.
Sometimes when you're craving Mexican food it's easier to head to the local Mexican restaurant than try and make tamales or enchiladas, but quesadillas are one of those dishes that are super easy to make and you can make as much or as little as you like.
If you're not really in the mood to cook, and you want something quick and easy, go with your basic cheese quesadilla. But, if you have a little more time and are itching to try something a little more adventurous, add some chicken, tomatoes, peppers, or even corn for a delectable Mexican dish from your own kitchen.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 4, 10-inch flour tortillas
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste; cook in a grill pan over medium-high heat until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side; remove from pan and slice into long, thin slices.
- Divide slices of chicken between 2 tortillas; place the sliced pepper and diced tomato on top of the chicken; sprinkle 1/2 cup of shredded cheese over each tortilla; cover chicken, peppers, tomatoes, and cheese with another tortilla.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat; place uncooked quesadilla in skillet and cook until cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove from skillet and serve with a side of guacamole and salsa.
Guacamole and Salsa Recipes
Jalapeño Garlic Salsa
Black Bean and Tomato Salsa
Authentic Mexican Guacamole
Tasty Guacamole Dip