With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I decided to get in the mood by baking up rich, thick brownies in a bite-size package. These brownies are made with bitter chocolate to give the morsels that intense flavor that every chocoholic craves. Dipping the brownies into festively hued candy melts gives a sweet and decorative appeal. This dessert is bound to make your valentine fall in love all over again!
Yield | 14 bites
- 1/4 cup of flour, plus 2 tablespoons
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 2.5 ounces of bitter sweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter, chocolate, and brown sugar in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over very low heat, stirring frequently with a heatproof spatula and keeping an eye on the pan so that nothing overheats or burns.
- When the mixture is smooth, remove from the heat and cool for a minute or two. Stir the vanilla and egg into the chocolate mixture.
- When the mixture is well blended, add the flour and stir only until it is incorporated. You should have a smooth, glossy batter.
- Spoon the batter into 14 of the mini-muffin cups, using about a teaspoon of batter to fill each cup 3/4 full.
- Put 1 teaspoon of water in each empty cup.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until the tops of the buttons spring back when touched. Transfer the pans to racks to cool for 3 minutes before carefully releasing the buttons.
- Cool to room temperature on the racks.
- Place desired amount of candy melts into the microwave until smooth, stirring occasionally.
- Dip the top of the brownie bite into the melted candy, twirling it until covered.
- Decorate with festive decorations if desired. Candy hardens quickly so place decorations on immediately after brownie is dipped.
Slightly adapted from Dorie Greenspan
More Valentine's Day recipes from SheKnows
Kid's Cooking: Valentine's Day Cupcakes
Edible Lingerie for Valentine's Day
Valentine's Day Cocktails