It’s football season, which means tailgating and game day parties are in full swing. Check out our top tailgate party recipes that travel well, and taste even better. These tasty dishes will get you fueled up to cheer on your team.
Bacon wrapped garlic jalapeÑo poppers
Serves 4 to 6 tailgaters
"A recipe that travels well [and] tastes great is bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers," says Dave Lamm of TailgatingIdeas.com. "It is a really simple recipe of fresh jalapeño peppers, cream cheese, garlic and bacon."
- 12 to 14 fresh jalapeño peppers
- 8-ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (garlic powder works as a substitution)
- 1 pound sliced bacon
- Moistened toothpicks
- Slice each jalapeño in half lengthwise; remove all the seeds and inner membranes, leaving just the outer portion of the pepper.
- Mix the cream cheese and garlic together in a bowl, making sure all the garlic is thoroughly mixed into the cream cheese.
- Fill each pepper until the cream cheese fills the cavity where the seeds once were.
- Wrap the filled peppers with one slice of bacon and hold together with toothpick. (Tip: Soak toothpicks in water for 30 minutes to prevent the grill from igniting the wood.)
- Place the peppers on a medium heated grill so you don't sear and burn the bacon.
- Turn frequently to ensure all sides are cooked. When the bacon is crispy, remove and serve immediately.
Note: These can easily be put together the night prior to the tailgating party and frozen overnight. Take them out of the freezer on your way out the door and let them defrost on your way to the parking lot.
Egg and cheese tailgating biscuits
"My husband and I are huge NFL Jacksonville Jaguars' fans and we tailgate with about 20 friends in the stadium for home games," says Carrie McLaren. "I love making sausage, egg and cheese breakfast muffins at home and taking them to our tailgating spot. They travel well and are the perfect food to have while setting up our tailgating gear!"
- 1 pound sausage, browned and drained
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup Bisquick
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use cooking spray to gently cover a muffin tin.
- Place drained sausage in the bottom of each tin, evenly enough to cover the bottom.
- Mix together eggs, Bisquick mix, milk, salt and pepper; pour mixture evenly over the sausage.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of each.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Tuna tailgating sliders
Tuna is a good alternative to beef because it is easier to transport. For instance, StarKist Flavor Fresh Pouch® is contained in such a way that you don't have to worry about the food's safety; these pouches are also easy to open (no can opener!) and no draining is required.
- 2 pouches, 2.6-ounces StarKist Low Sodium Chunk Light Tuna in Water
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, reduced fat
- 1/2 cup fat free mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
- 1/8 cup liquid egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle peppers, packed in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 slider buns
- Lettuce and tomato for garnish (optional)
- Combine tuna, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, cheese, mayonnaise, onion and egg substitute in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Form into 6 patties (about 1/4 cup mixture per patty); place remaining 1/4 cup bread crumbs on a plate; coat each side of the patty with bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat; cook patties 3 to 5 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Place tuna patty on slider bun, top with a slice of avocado and tomato, and a little chopped cilantro.
Pigs in a cheesy bacon blanket
This recipe, courtesy of Riva Farrell, puts a fun twist on a classic tailgating recipe.
- Hot dogs
- Cheddar cheese slices
- Bacon strips
- Crescent rolls
- Slice hot dogs down the middle, but not completely in half; place a piece of cheddar cheese in the slit.
- Wrap dogs with a slice of bacon, then wrap with crescent roll dough.
- Bake at 375 degrees F until crescents are cooked.
More game day recipe ideas