These flavorful Italian cookies are packed with almonds and cherries and the perfect addition to your morning coffee. Make these biscotti your own by substituting in your favorite nuts and dried fruits.
Yields about 30 servings
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cherries; chopped
- 1 cup white chocolate; melted
- In a large bowl, combine flour, almonds, lemon peel, baking powder and salt until thoroughly incorporated. In another bowl, whisk the eggs; add the sugar, oil, lemon juice, almond extract and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just until combined. Fold in cherries. Divide dough in half.
- On parchment-lined baking sheet, shape each portion into 12-in x 3-in. rectangle.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Carefully remove to wire racks; cool for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
- Transfer biscotti to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a serrated knife into 3/4-in. slices. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until firm, turning after 15 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- If desired, drizzle cooled biscotti with melted white chocolate.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.