A last minute holiday cookie that is not only simple to prepare, but is also delicious. A sugar cookie base combines with almonds and poppy seeds to create a scrumptious treat in no time. Plus, no one will ever guess they came from a cookie mix!
Almond Poppy Seed Cookies
Yield 24 cookies
- 1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sliced or finely chopped almonds, if desired
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In large bowl, stir cookie mix, flour, poppy seeds, butter, cream cheese, almond extract and egg until soft dough forms.
- Roll dough into 1 1/4-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 3 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
- In small bowl, mix powdered sugar, lemon juice and enough water to give the glaze a nice spreading consistency. Spread glaze over warm cookies. Sprinkle with almonds. Store tightly covered in a single layer at room temperature.
Adapted from: Betty Crocker