Rich chocolate combines with peppermint kisses to create a deliciously flavorful and festive holiday cookie.
Chocolate peppermint cookies
Yield about 36 cookies
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 40 peppermint Hershey's Kisses, chopped (or use 1 cup mint chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in extracts. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; gradually stir into the butter mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped peppermint kisses. Use a medium cookie scoop to drop dough onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 9 minutes in the preheated oven; cookies will be soft. Cool slightly on cookie sheet then remove from sheet onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Notes: Reserve some of the chopped peppermint cookies and sprinkle them onto the tops of the freshly baked cookies. The heat from the cookies will allow the peppermint kiss pieces to adhere to the cookies.
- If you are unable to find Peppermint Hershey's Kisses you can substitute chopped peppermint bark or mint chocolate chips.