Lucky Foods For A Good Year

This January 1st instead of taking a chance on having a good year put luck on your side by making a menu of good luck foods. There are many cultures that believe in eating certain foods to ensure a fortunate year, so follow in their footsteps to have a terrific upcoming year.

Pulled pork sandwich

Food to eat on New Year's

Pork

Symbolizes: wealth and prosperity; progress

How to enjoy: whole roasted suckling pig, pulled pork sandwiches, sausage, ham, pork chops

Long Noodles

Symbolizes: a long life in Asian cultures; longevity

How to enjoy: pork lo mein, soba noodles with shrimp, sesame noodles. Be sure not to let the noodle break before it gets to your mouth!

Legumes

Symbolizes: good fortune; growing wealth

How to enjoy: lentil soup, black eyed pea hoppin' john, lentils and sausage, peas and macaroni

Greens

Symbolizes: money; monetary fortune

How to enjoy: braised kale; sautéed collard greens with bacon; steamed chard; cabbage soup

Grapes

Symbolizes: eat one grape at midnight for every chime of the clock for good luck

How to enjoy: with a glass of champagne but be sure to eat all the grapes before the final stroke of midnight

Up next: New Year's recipes >>

Continue »

Comments

Comments on "New Year’s menu"

Suz December 21, 2010 | 8:17 AM

Yum, bring on the good luck with the good food :-)

vaibav December 20, 2010 | 6:27 AM

This is one of the great new years recipes that which i ever going to have.Among many new years menu it is one of most delicious.

Grace December 20, 2010 | 2:58 AM

I thought of preparing a tasty new year's recipe on Jan 1st.Think these are the good tips for new years menu.

suman inguva December 20, 2010 | 2:56 AM

I am searching for new years recipes for this very new year.Finally i found here the new year menu which also bring luck for me.Thanks.

Gee December 19, 2010 | 9:55 AM

Thankyou for some great ideas on new year's recipes. I am going to try some of these in my food and surprise my family with the much bette new year menu!

Lynn December 18, 2010 | 1:57 PM

Our New Year's menu has been the same for generations. My family always makes pork and sauerkraut each year for good luck. Now that we've moved to the southern US, I'm using some "southern" New Year's recipes too. I'd never heard of some of the items on this list. It was informative!

Sid December 18, 2010 | 3:42 AM

Wow this new years recipes will definitly be on my families new years menu!.

dan December 18, 2010 | 3:30 AM

New year is already here so this is the time for new year nuitritious new years recipes. What are the recipes in your new year menu

shan December 17, 2010 | 2:31 AM

new years recipes in this new years is giving a great joy for me.I'm sure my children will like to add this new years recipes on new years menu

Ash December 17, 2010 | 1:14 AM

I'm planning to make new years recipes from this new years menu.I'm sure that all of my family members surely like this new years recipes. Thank you

shweta December 15, 2010 | 7:02 AM

this is first time i m reading this type of news...Sure this new year I will try something like this.