A Decadent Holiday Dessert
Quintessential Thanksgiving flavors blend to create a rich, decadent holiday dessert. Fresh cranberries unite with the orange flavor, creating a magnificent combination of tart and sweet, perfect for your Thanksgiving menu.
Spiced orange-cranberry crumble bars
Yields 24 bars
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 cup cold butter (2 sticks)
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Juice of 1 orange
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 4 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, divided use
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13-inch pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, flour, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, and almond meal until thoroughly incorporated.
- Add the butter and pulse the dough 5 to 6 times until incorporated, add in the egg and pulse 2 to 3 more times; the dough will be crumbly.
- Pat half of the dough into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together 2/3 cup sugar, vanilla, cornstarch, orange juice and zest, and 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.
- Mix in the cranberries. Sprinkle the cranberry mixture evenly over the dough in the pan; crumble the remaining dough over the cranberry mixture.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until top is a light golden brown.
- Cool completely and chill in the refrigerator before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days. Bring to room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
- To make almond meal, simply place almonds in a food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- If you do not have a food processor, a pastry cutter will assist you in incorporating the cold butter into the dry ingredients.
More holiday dessert recipes