Sensational Seasonal Recipes
This winter come in out of the cold and cozy up in front of a warm oven. Filled with hearty seasonal ingredients, these creative winter recipes will turn your kitchen into a deliciously warm retreat.
Parsnip Carrot Soup
This soup is both hearty and belly warming, making it the perfect recipe to whip out on blustery winter day. Serve with some crusty, fresh bread.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Sautee the red onions in the butter until they become translucent.
- Add the parsnips, carrots, garlic, ginger, allspice, nutmeg salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for five minutes.
- Stir in the broth.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, approximately 20 minutes.
- Pour mixture into food processor and puree.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan.
- Stir in the cream and heat on medium setting until heated throughout.
Cider Glazed Chicken and Cranberries
Apple cider adds some tang to this otherwise savory recipe when paired with the cranberries. Perfect for a cold winter evening when paired with a nice glass of Pinot Noir.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1-1/2 tablespoons flour (all purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon dried cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Mix flour, ginger, cloves, salt and pepper in large bowl.
- Dredge chicken pieces in the flour mixture
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large, non-stick skillet.
- Place chicken in pan and brown approximately 5 minutes on each side.
- Add apple cider, vinegar and cranberries to skillet.
- Cover and simmer until chicken is done, 8 to 10 minutes.
Slow Cooker Pork and Sweet Potato Stew
This winter recipe just feels like the essence of Mom's cooking – the sweet potatoes add a tasty, beta-carotene-filled twist.
- 4 boneless pork chops
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped parsnips
- 1 26 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1 ten ounce package frozen corn
- Add all ingredients except for the corn to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for four hours or low for six hours.
- Add corn 20 minutes prior to serving.
Next: More winter recipes from your warm oven!