(page 2 of 2)
Sweet potato and corn soup recipe
Soup is a fantastic first course on Thanksgiving. This sweet potato and corn soup recipe is highlighted with corn, peppers, and caramelized onions. This recipe was adapted from The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus for Family and Friends, by Anna Thomas.
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups corn
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 1 fresh jalapeño, minced
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Cayenne pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cream
- Cilantro or parsley for garnish (optional)
- Melt butter, add onion and a dash of salt, and sauté, stirring often, until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, peel and dice sweet potatoes, place in pot with water and stock, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add onions to potatoes. Pour a bit of broth into the onion pan and then pour back into the soup to get all the juices from the onion pan. Purée the soup with a hand mixer or in batches in a blender. Return to pot.
- Add corn, peppers, and milk and simmer until tender. Add lemon juice and cayenne, taste and adjust seasoning, then stir in cream.
- Serve hot, garnished with cilantro or parsley.
Vegetarian gravy recipe
Yield 3 cups
This vegetarian gravy recipe is simple to make and has a nutty flavor that is a fantastic complement to tofurkey.
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup ground toasted almonds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the margarine in a saucepan until melted. Whisk in flour and stir for 1 to 2 minutes continuously.
- Remove from heat for 2 minutes, then return saucepan to stove and whisk in stock and nuts.
- Simmer, stirring constantly until thickened (approximately 5 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper; serve hot.
Check out these other vegetarian Thanksgiving recipes including holiday stuffing, roasted squash, and pumpkin muffins >>
More vegetarian holiday recipes
Vegetarian Thanksgiving recipes
Vegetarian Thanksgiving dessert recipes
Vegetarian holiday recipes