For a vegetarian family, Thanksgiving can still be a day to feast. Cook a tofu turkey (tofurkey) and add some delicious vegetarian side dishes to complete your Thanksgiving meal.
Tofurkey and stuffing recipe
Mold a turkey out of tofu and serve your tofurkey as the main course this Thanksgiving.
- 5 pounds of firm tofu
- 1 pound of tofu for the "drumsticks" (optional)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 1/3 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup sage
- 2 teaspoons marjoram
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 cups Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons miso
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon mustard of choice
- Mash tofu with hands, getting all of the lumps out. Line a 12-inch colander with wet cheesecloth overlapping the sides. Add the mashed tofu to the colander, press down and cover with the overlapping sides. Place the whole thing in a large bowl. Cover the cheesecloth with a plate that fits inside the colander and place a 5 pound weight on the plate. Refrigerate and let sit at least 2 hours.
- While the tofu is chilling, sauté the onions, celery, and mushrooms in the sesame oil. When soft, add the garlic and all the rest of the stuffing ingredients, except herb stuffing, mixing well. Sauté for 5 minutes while stirring.
- Add herb stuffing and mix well. Remove tofu from refrigerator and take off weight, plate, and top of cheesecloth. Hollow out tofu to within 1-inch of the sides and bottom, placing the tofu you remove in a bowl. Place the stuffing inside the tofu shell and pack firmly. Cover with the remaining tofu and pat down firmly. Turn stuffed tofu onto a greased baking sheet, flat side down.
- Gently press on the sides of "turkey" to achieve a more oval, turkey-like shape. If desired, mold "drumsticks" out of one pound of tofu, and place on each side of the "turkey."
- Mix the basting mixture and then baste tofurkey with half of it. Cover tofurkey with foil, and bake at 400 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes. Remove foil, baste with the remaining mixture, except for two tablespoons, and return to oven for 60 more minutes, or until the "turkey" is golden. Remove from oven and baste with remaining mix. Using two large spatulas to move to a large serving platter.
Up next: Vegetarian gravy recipe and more >>