Tools Of The
Baby Food Trade
One of the things that makes homemade baby food seem so daunting is the need for kitchen tools and gadgets. There are many parents who may think that they need to go out and purchase many new kitchen tools and uber expensive food processors. Mind you, making your own baby food is a wonderful excuse to go out and buy some new gadgets if you have been looking for a reason! However, the simple truth is, there are no special gadgets needed to make homemade baby food. Here are the top 10 items needed, and I bet that you have at least 7 of them already in your kitchen!
What you'll need:
- Blender or food processor to blend or purée the cooked foods
- Steamer basket to steam the foods
- Pots, pans, and baking dishes to cook the foods
- Bowls of all sizes, to mash the foods in and to serve the food
- Fork to mash foods
- Potato masher to mash foods
- Vegetable peeler to peel fruits and vegetables
- Ice cube trays to store the purées in
- Freezer bags to transfer the frozen food purée cubes into for easier storage
- Sharpie marker to label the freezer bags with the food type and date of storage. You will be surprised at how carrots and sweet potatoes look alike when puréed!
This is a very short list indeed. How many of these items do you have already? Now you are all set to make fresh and tasty homemade baby food!
Top 10 foods to have on hand to make homemade baby food
With just 10 simple foods on hand, you can make several weeks worth of baby food and even feed the family!
- Sweet potatoes
- Winter squash
- Brown Rice
- Chicken (yes, this is number 11, but it's good to have on hand for creating meals for your older baby and the rest of the family!)
All of these foods are easy to prepare and easy to store and the best thing of all is that they are easily found at your local grocery store!
More homemade baby food on SheKnows