Hearty, Healthy & Easy To Make
Whether you're a regular vegetarian, or just introducing vegetarian meals to your family menu, this recipe for easy stuffed peppers is a surefire hit with everyone at the dinner table.
If you're looking for a simple, delicious way to make dinner, these stuffed peppers deliver! Filled with rice, beans, green chilies and cheese, then roasted to perfection, this is a truly filling vegetarian meal. It's also uber healthy and full of flavor. A perfect dinner for eat-at-home evenings.
Vegetarian stuffed peppers
- 1 small can green chilies
- 2 cups instant brown rice, uncooked
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 red, green or yellow bell peppers
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large pot, combine green chilies, rice, tomato sauce, and broth. Bring to a boil and cook until rice is tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, clean the bell peppers, then slice the top 1/3 off of the peppers. Remove and discard all seeds and pith.
- Take the pot of rice from the stove and stir in the black beans and cheese. Spoon the rice mixture into the center of the peppers.
- Set the stuffed peppers on a cookie sheet, replace the tops of the peppers, drizzle lightly with olive oil, then put the cookie sheet in the preheated oven.
- Allow peppers to bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the exterior is soft and slightly browned. Allow to cool slightly before serving.