If you're hosting a cocktail party, take a page out of a cookbook from the ‘50s and serve some updated retro appetizers that your guests will find delightful and would make any housewife proud. Pearls and high heels in the kitchen optional.
(page 2 of 2)
Truffle Deviled Eggs
Makes 12 servings
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons truffle oil
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of truffle salt
- Place eggs in a large pot and cover with water; bring water to a boil then turn off heat and cover pot. Let eggs sit for about 12 minutes then remove eggs from water and refrigerate.
- When eggs have cooled peel off shells carefully and slice eggs in half lengthwise.
- Remove yolks from eggs and place in a bowl. Mix in mayonnaise and truffle oil. Stir until yolks are mashed and well combined.
- Carefully spoon yolk mixture back into whites and sprinkle with cayenne pepper and truffle salt. Chill until ready to serve.
Apple and Brie Cheese Ball
Makes 12 to 16 servings
- 16 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 whole apple, peeled and diced
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Mix Brie with cream cheese, rosemary, and apples until well combined.
- Shape mixture into 2 balls and roll in pecans.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Chickens in a Blanket
Makes 32 servings
- 1/2 pound whole-wheat pizza dough, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 8 low-fat chicken dogs, cut in half
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Divide dough into 16 pieces and roll out into small rectangles on a lightly floured surface.
- Spread mustard onto each piece of dough and top with one chicken dog.
- Roll dough to wrap dog and seal then place on prepared baking sheet.
- Gently whisk egg with water and brush egg mixture on dough and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake until golden, about 10 to 15 minutes.
More retro recipes
Retro dessert recipes
Updated retro desserts
10 Quick Party Appetizers