Quick & Easy Suppers
On busy school days, it’s easy to give up on the idea of a home-cooked dinner. Skip the fast food joints and make one of these 10-minute back to school dinner recipes, they're perfect for busy evenings.
Here are five quick, kid-friendly recipes that can be made in about 10 minutes; sure to satisfy, easy to clean up. If you've got 10 minutes, you've got dinner with these impressively delicious recipes. The key to a truly quick dinner is proper preparation.
- Plan ahead: Decide ahead of time what your family will be eating for dinner.
- Inventory ingredients: Check the refrigerator to make sure you've got all of the ingredients.
- Prep: Chop veggies and store them in the refrigerator in reusable containers and place the pots you'll need on your stove. That way, when you have a minute to buzz home, you won't be running in circles around the kitchen, trying to pull together everything you need to make a meal.
- Sit with your family: Most of all, if you're taking the time to cook at home, be sure to take the time to sit down and eat with your family. Of all the benefits home-cooked family dinners offer, perhaps the greatest is the opportunity to commune with your family.
Potato, broccoli & cheese soup recipe
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup instant mashed potato flakes
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the flowers off of the head of the broccoli and save the rest of the broccoli for another meal.
- In a large skillet, cook the broccoli in the butter over medium-high heat until the broccoli is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stirring together until smooth.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Up next: Firehouse chili >>