Maple Bacon Butternut Squash
Roasting brings out the natural sugars in squash. And this recipe enhances that with the addition of sweet, rich maple syrup and salty bacon. Yum!
- 2-1/2 cups cubed and peeled butternut squash
- 4 slices bacon, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Salt and pepper
- Boil the butternut squash until fork tender, about 25 minutes.
- Drain the squash and set aside. Wipe out the pot, if necessary.
- Set the pot over medium heat and warm it. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp.
- Add the butternut squash and stir to combine. Use a potato masher to mash the squash. Add the maple syrup, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately.
Also try Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup >>
Grilled Herbed Parmesan Asparagus
Dress up asparagus with herbs and cheese for a delicious side dish that's fast and easy to make.
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1-1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh savory (or 1/4 teaspoon dried savory)
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan
- Combine asparagus, olive oil, pepper, salt, thyme and savory in a sealable bag. Shake until well coated. Let the asparagus sit in the spice bag for 10 to 15 minutes, while you heat up the grill.
- Heat grill to medium heat. Lay the asparagus in a single layer across the grates. Cook, turning often, until desired tenderness (10 to 15 minutes on direct heat).
- Remove from grill and immediately top with parmesan. Let cool 5 to 10 minutes before eating (it will be very hot).
Try these other asparagus side dishes >>
Roasted Herbed Carrots
Love carrots? These flavorful babies are perfect for any dinner party.
- 2 cups sliced carrots, cut on a diagonal
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, loosely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large, deep, oven-safe dish, combine all ingredients.
- Cover and cook for one hour.
- Serve warm.
Don't miss these creative carrot recipes >>
Up next: 3 More simple side dishes >>