Stars, Stripes & Food
Fans of the reality competition The Next Food Network Star will recognize these crackerjack cooks competing for the big prize - their own Food Network show. SheKnows challenged contestants to come up with the best 4th of July recipes & tips and the results would impress even the pickiest judge. Just see for yourself!
Aria's 4th of July tips:
- Place raspberries and blueberries in an ice tray, fill with water and freeze. These festive red and blue ice cubes look great in holiday drinks!
- A picnic is a great way enjoy a fourth of July meal. Wrap sandwiches in wax paper and seal with cool patriotic stickers.
- Buy holiday plates, napkins and other accessories a day or two later. All holiday items are usually 50-75% off! Store them in a cool dry place, and you will be already for next year's party.
Firecracker Fish Tacos
with Mango Slaw
With easy preparation and minimal clean up, these fish tacos make a great 4th of July summertime meal. The best part: you can eat them with your hands!
- 2 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 mango, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ pound firm white fish (black grouper recommended), skin removed
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, thickly sliced
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 8- 6 inch flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil
- Rinse red cabbage under cold water until the water runs clear. This prevents the purple from running all over your other ingredients. Pat the cabbage completely dry. Tip: If you have a salad spinner, it works great for this step
- Mix together all of the mango slaw ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Set aside at room temperature
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Brush 2 Tablespoons of olive oil on the aluminum foil
- Place fish skin side down on baking sheet, and sprinkle red onions and garlic around and over the fish
- Drizzle onions, garlic and fish with the remaining 2 Tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Zest 1 lemon on the fish
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until the fish is opaque. When you pull the fish out of the oven, put in the aluminum-wrapped tortillas in for 5 minutes
- Place the warm tortillas on a plate, top with 2 oz. of the fish with roasted onions and big spoonful of slaw
Next: Serena Palumbo's Italian 4th of July