18 bite-size fresh mozzarella balls, halved
1/2 cup prepared balsamic vinaigrette
36 cherry tomatoes
3 tablespoons very finely chopped basil
1. Place mozzarella in a bowl with the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Set aside.
2. Slip a cherry tomato onto a cocktail toothpick then slip a mozzarella half, cut side down, onto the toothpick under the tomato.
3. Spread basil onto a small plate. Dip the cut side of the mozzarella into basil and set on a serving platter.
Crustless Italian Mini Quiche
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 slices prosciutto, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, drained
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup half and half or cream
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh parsley sprigs
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and generously spray a mini-muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Heat olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add prosciutto and onion and cook, stirring often, until prosciutto is lightly browned and onion is soft. Add sun-dried tomatoes and oregano and stir to combine. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and half and half or cream. When prosciutto mixture is cooled, stir it into egg mixture until well combined.
4. Divide mixture among the 24 mini-muffin cups and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until puffed and golden. Let cool on a wire rack.
5. Invert muffin pan or remove mini-quiche and transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with sprigs of parsley.
Succulent Shrimp Skewers
Makes about 36
2 pounds peeled, deviened raw medium shrimp
1 cup olive oil
Juice and zest of 2 lemons
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
2 tablespoons finely chopped tarragon
1. In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and zest, soy sauce, parsley and tarragon. Place shrimp in bowl. Marinate for 2 hours, tossing them occasionally.
2. Preheat grill to high. Put shrimp in basket grills and cook, covered, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
3. Slip two shrimp onto cocktail toothpicks and arrange on a serving platter.
More low carb summer recipes