In-Season Summer Vegetables for Salads:
In-Season Summer Fruits for Salads:
Corn and Green Bean Salad
5 ears of corn, shucked
2 cups green beans
8 cups arugula, rinsed
1/2 cup diced red onion
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup julienned fresh basil leaves
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a rolling boil; add corn and green beans and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain water and place in ice water for a few minutes to cool. Cut kernels off ears of corn and discard stalks.
2. Place arugula in a large serving bowl and top with corn kernels, green beans, and red onions.
3. Whisk vinegar with olive oil, salt, and pepper and drizzle over salad mixture. Gently toss to coat. Sprinkle with basil.
Cucumber, Tomato, and Mango Salad
3 large cucumbers, peeled and sliced
3 large tomatoes, sliced
2 mangoes, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
1. Combine cucumbers, tomatoes, and mangoes in a large bowl.
2. Whisk honey with vinegar and salt. Drizzle mixture over vegetables and fruit and gently toss to coat. Top with chives.
Avocado and Goat Cheese Salad
6 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped (the other half can be added to the salad)
1/4 cup basil leaves
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 head Romaine lettuce
1 avocado, peeled and diced
1 cup canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
3 ounces goat cheese
1. Combine scallions, peppers, basil, lime juice, and salt in a blender or food processor; pulse to chop well. While motor is running, drizzle in olive oil gradually to make a dressing. Taste dressing to make sure it is not too oily.
2. In a serving bowl, add lettuce and top with avocado, garbanzo beans, and tomatoes. Drizzle with dressing and gently toss to combine. Top with chunks of goat cheese.
Healthy Summer Pasta Salads
Simple Summer Salads
New Salads for Spring and Summer