Tastes Of Summer
Summer is a beautiful time for entertaining, but in the current recession, we’re all trying to save a few pennies any way we can. This doesn’t mean we have to sacrifice delicious treats for our guests, though. Behold 10 of our favorite summer side recipes – all for under $10!
(page 2 of 10)
Chicken and Black Bean Quesadillas
Registered dietician, nutritionist and author Elizabeth Somer has created this recipe to help you add a healthy spin and big flavor to your meals without taking a big bite out of your budget.
- 8 medium-size Mission soft taco tortillas
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken breast (rotisserie chicken works great)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, washed and drained
- 2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 cup reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 diced tomato
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup salsa
- Mix chicken, black beans, salsa, cilantro, chipotle pepper and honey in large saucepan. Heat over medium heat until hot. Remove from heat.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat and coat with vegetable cooking spray. Place one tortilla flat on skillet. After a minute, flip tortilla over.
- Place about 1/2 cup chicken mixture on tortilla, carefully spreading to the edges. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Place another tortilla on top and press down with a spatula. Cover quesadilla with a lid. After 1 minute, flip quesadilla if brown. Once cheese has melted, remove quesadilla, transfer to cutting board and cut into 8 wedges. Repeat for remaining quesadillas.
- Place quesadillas on a serving tray, sprinkle with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro. In center of tray, place a small cup of salsa and reduced-fat sour cream.
Up next: Thai Sweet and Spicy broccoli