Tastes Of Summer
Summer is a beautiful time for entertaining, but in the current recession, we’re all trying to save a few pennies any way we can. This doesn’t mean we have to sacrifice delicious treats for our guests, though. Behold 10 of our favorite summer side recipes – all for under $10!
Goat Cheese Salad with Arugula and Radicchio
Executive chef Aram Mardigian of Wolfgang Puck American Grille at Borgata Hotel Casino is delighted to introduce his goat cheese salad with arugula and radicchio.
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- freshly ground white pepper
- 1 cup almond or extra virgin olive oil (or a mixture of both)
- 4 ounces fresh chevre (log-shaped goat cheese), cut into 4 equal slices
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small heads radicchio
- 2 bunches arugula
- Vinaigrette: Combine the mustard, tarragon, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil. Correct the seasonings, including the mustard and vinegar, and set aside. Marinate the cheese in the olive oil with 1 teaspoon of the thyme leaves, garlic and pepper, for up to an hour.
- Wash the radicchio and arugula; dry in a salad spinner or pat dry with paper towels. Toss the salad greens in a bowl with enough of the vinaigrette to coat them lightly. Divide the greens among 4 large salad plates. Heat a non-stick sauté pan until very hot and add 2 tablespoons of the goat cheese marinade. Add the cheese and sauté it over medium heat for 30 seconds on each side.
- Top each salad with a slice of hot goat cheese. Garnish the cheese with the remaining thyme leaves. Serve immediately.
Up next: Chicken and black bean quesadillas